Thursday, March 10, 2011

Dark Africa....... Not so dark?

Been here a little more than a week and a half and the weather is beautiful, 30+ days, high teens at night. Have been riding everyday and met local riders that have shared great rides with me. The baboons can be very intimidating, they are usually found in packs along the roads, the old ones like to bare their teeth, but my local friends say they are just smiling at me, but also warn me not to stop or feed them. I am fascinated by the fences and gates here in South Africa, they mean business, designed to electrify you or cut you up badly. Personal security is a big business in this country. The highways are very good but dangerous after dark. Everyone knows about the Cape Epic and wishes us well. This will be a tough race if the terrain is similar to what I have rode so far, the rock seems very loose and the low bushes are full of thorns, snakes and spiders, some of the biggest I have ever seen....... Should be exciting!!!! The lodging is good and the food is fantastic. The bikes are fantastic and everyone wants to touch the Flash. On our way down the Garden Route towards Port Elizabeth for our safari..... Looking forward to it! ......... Don

No comments:

Post a Comment